Network Engineer, Level 1
Location: McLean, VA
Serves as the lead architect (subject matter expert) for various Firewall products on the customer network for implementation and incident resolution. Provides technical direction to other network support and client server specialists that plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
Installs, configures, and supports an organization’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer networks, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. Maintains network hardware and software. Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
.Plans new configurations for integration into the network, using knowledge of the performance characteristics of the systems being added to the network and the specifications for network interfaces to insure effective integration and optimal network performance. Ensures that adequate and appropriate planning is provided for hardware and communications facilities to develop and implement methodologies for analysis, installation and support of voice communications systems. Provides support in the translation of business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video) requirements, designs and orders. The overarching security requirements for the customer network add to the complexity of these positions.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Operate master consoles in order to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Prepare technical proposals for presentation to the customer’s engineering review boards for adding new technologies to the network.
- Perform a full range of upgrades to the existing network architecture.
- Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
- Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
- Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
- Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
- Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
- Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations.
- Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management.
- Monitor security posture of the network, and report suspected violations to designated authority.
- Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
- Perform operator-level maintenance on components associated with network management systems.
- Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput) and recommends procurement, removals, and modifications to network components.
- Design and optimize network topologies and site configurations. Plan installations, transitions, and cutovers of network components and capabilities.
- Coordinate requirements with users and suppliers.
- Organize and direct network installations on site surveys.
- Assess and document current site network configuration and user requirements.
- Design and optimize network topologies.
- Create and/or maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs.
- Modify existing software, as well as, create special-purpose software to ensure efficiency and integrity between systems and applications.
- Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications.
- Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards – such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model – as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application. Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions.
- Perform analysis and validation of reusable software and hardware components to ensure the integration of these components into interpretable IM designs.
- Requires 7-20 years of McAfee Sidewinder Firewall experience, managing, upgrading, troubleshooting
- Requires Cisco Iron Port Experience, managing, upgrading, troubleshooting
- Requires HP Openview experience, maintaining
- Requires good knowledge of DNS implementation and troubleshooting
- Preferred Skills: UNIX/LINUX systems administration, shell scripting, SPLUNK experience
- Certifications Preferred:
- Cisco: CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE
- Juniper: JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIT, JNCIE